Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Some other stuff!




I got to thinking that there were a whole lot of things that I omitted to mention in yesterday's blog - of course there is always the fact that Jo said lots of stuff that some people just don't understand - but on the other hand there is always the chance that nobody other than us is even reading our blog!


I did want to mention a couple of arb things that I know will interest specific people and I won't mention any names at this point, so take whatever interests you and toss the rest!


Our room number at the motel is 17 - Yes, yes I know that there are many of you who will ask, 'why tell us that and who cares?' - believe me it is important to some of my special people.


Nobody in New Zealand apparently carries any form of identity document - if anyone should ask for an identity document, which they won't, but if they SHOULD then the passport is more than adequate!


I was really dubious about the facts when we heard that 'landline' calls are free - well they really are! Cel phone calls are relatively expensive - to the tune of about $2.50 a minute - for those of you who's strong point is not sums - that works out to about R13.75 per minute! But on the other hand mobile phones are useful sometimes!


We have looked at houses to rent - it feels like a gazillion of them - some are really musty, old wooden structures that haven't seen a lick of paint in decades, but others are brand, spanking new - it seems like there has been an upswing in the economy here. The aforementioned upswing has done a disappearing act and so there are really loads of brand new houses standing around empty - this means there are quite a few to choose from if you want to live on the outskirts of town (which we are debating) - they are also not any more expensive than the houses nearer to town - ALL the housing is scary expensive - for those who didn't get through all of Jo's entry yesterday, average prices for rental houses (standard three bedroom, two bathroom and basic other things variety) is between 350 and 450 Dollars per WEEK. Yes, you read right - about $400. per week. (R2,200 per week!)


Anyway, what's cool is that we have a local lady driving us around - in spite of the hired car provided for us - and she is doing the crummy bits like making appointments to see inside places and so on - you are expected to drive by houses you could be interested in so that you can make sure you are really interested in them before you waste everybody's time thinking you want to see inside them when you really don't!


The main thing that I ommitted to mention yesterday in the blog entry, was that I no longer have my cel phone - it's a long story and although I told everyone I could be reached on 'roaming' for a month, this is no longer the case. What really is irritating is that I don't have contact numbers for anyone anymore and have managed to find only a couple of my numbers on Jo's phone - so if you didn't hear from us when you were really expecting to, sorry - it's not personal - please send me a mail on my international e-mail address - diane04@live.co.za and let me have all the stuff I need to get hold of you. Of course, once the container gets here and we are re-connected to everything, things will be a whole lot easier.


But we do have a local cel/mobile number now - 021 0657 824 - so if there are important things that we need to know about, and you are inclined to pay for an international cel call - there's the number!


That's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment